On the 23rd of July, 1938 Bagno Select was born. Only 135 days of work were required, carried out according to the project for the engineer Giulio De Micheli, the same who in 1926 built the Select Palace Hotel, today known as Grand Hotel Principe di Piemonte.
Initially the name of the two large buildings was just “Select”.
Only after the release of an article published in 1940 on the “Popolo D’Italia”, the official magazine of the fascist party, which contested the use of foreign terms for Italian works, De Micheli radically changed the name of the hotel and the beach in “Principe di Piemonte”.
The Principino complex represents one of the first bathing establishments built in Italy.
Its peculiarity has always been innovation right from the start: the structure included and still includes 150 cabins with drinking water and toilets.
The central block of the building was divided into a ballroom, game rooms and medical services. Three rooms were also used as a restaurant, café and cinema-theater.
Going out towards the sea, people found the veranda built in a semicircle that directly overlooked the 25 m swimming pool with diving board and sea water. It was the first swimming pool built inside a bathhouse within a radius of many kilometers.
Over the years Principino has established itself more and more as the meeting point of the social life of the city but not only that, many dukes and prominent personalities also came to Viareggio to frequent this environment.